The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

City Slickers is a good movie.

I don't know if many of you remember this early 90?s classic, but a character crossed my mind on the drive back to Detroit. I don't remember the words or how it was even phrased, but Jack Pallance the old cowboy basically said life is about one thing and would raise his finger in the air. Billy Crystal through his trials and tribulations would discover what this one thing was to him.

This one thing is your life. You get this moment, blink of an eye quick stay here on Earth. It is up to us to make the most out of it. We live in a society where we try to push blame. It's our job, its issues with family or friends, it's where we are in life. Believe it or not, these are things we can have direct control of.

There are two modes of thought, one using our head and the other using our heart. Unfortunately they usually are in conflict with one another. One is practical and the other is that romanticism that lies in all of us often being ignored. Our heart tells us what we want to hear, but our brain tells us what we should do and we follow. I believe people think that this gray mass only provides answers at the beginning. However, it?s not going anywhere that we don?t. So follow your heart, our head will still be there to put the pieces together.

Case in point, I recently quit my job. Was it a wise decision? Honestly, the answer is no. I am now unemployed, don't have another job lined up, and as my parents continue to reference don't have medical insurance. My head shaking no to the question with fury. Another question needs to be asked, was it a good decision? Absolutely, my heart answers beating strongly. I was not happy with the type of work I was doing and would be stuck in the position for several years. I am now happy and the pressure of the job now weighs on Ford and no longer my shoulders. Of course there is a part of me that is concerned about being unemployed, but this is where my head comes in again. I have a good one on my shoulders and it has helped me in the past and will continue to do so.

My Mom used to or I should say still does say to me before I leave on a trip or adventure, "Dave you get one life. Don't waste it, be careful." I agree with the first part, we don?t see eye to eye on the second. I have gone skiing out of bounds now multiple times. I was truly living. I hitchhiked with friends in Seattle. I was truly living. I rode the subways at 3am in NYC alone. I was truly living. I jumped out of a plane. I was truly living. I take these risks and never look back. If I was to die tomorrow I can actually say I lived an amazing life. I don't want to grow old and be bitter about my past. I don't want to grow old either and only reminisce. I want to continually look ahead, I want to continually live this one life. This one thing.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home