The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Thursday, March 25, 2004

What do you want to be when you grow up?

A fireman, a teacher, and the ever popular astronaut. These are the answers, the words a child in elementary school would say. The only two I can remember were a race car driver and an astronomer. Never mind the space shuttle, just give me a telescope and a cloudless night. Time would pass and my ideas of what I would want to do changed. They still do to this day. In high school I'm not going to lie, I was a pretty smart and determined kid.

Two subjects I excelled in were math and science. Numbers and atoms can be proven. They aren't subject to opinion, they exist, and they are factual. With this in mind I would go to a top engineering school and follow my Dad's footsteps. As a kid he would mention big words such as soil contamination and acquisition of refineries. That's great and all, but when are we going to go sledding. Now I was walking on these concrete steps about to follow suit a man I had admired and was proud to call Dad. With a sweaty backpack on filled with pen and papers, I was optimistic of the future before me. Notes to be taken that would lead me to ideas and help me excel in my career, and maybe change the world in the process.

My path changed and I soon switched over to business. I'm glad for that switch. Now I've been in Detroit for the past 7 weeks. Surprisingly a quick 7 weeks. Living alone has given me a lot of time to think. My mind drifts to the thoughts of what I want in a job, in a company, and in life. They'll change. Everything does. I'm 23 and have only just begun living. Still I need a creative outpost. This blog was to be a diary, a journal while I was in NYC, a place to put stories, past happenings, and ramblings to tell my grandkids when I'm bald, blind, and incoherent. Now it is has become a place, where I can put myself out on the line and tell people who are important in my life what's going on in this head of mine.

What does this green eyed boy with a Bugle Boy Jeans and Z Cavarichi t-shirt want now? I want to get back into advertising. I'll continue to pursue this. Surprisingly this is a job that has many characteristics to the worker I wanted to be in 2nd or 3rd grade. It was a person with values. A man who didn't have to be 80 years old to be wise. He's an individual that shared words that I clung onto, and a person who knew how to listen. It was a person who showed me life's little lessons. A man that now and then seemed to know me more than I know myself. I still remember what the picture looked like. It was a guy with brown hair, a mustache, a blue suit, and one arm longer than the other carrying a briefcase. His hair now has a little gray and his mustache has a lot more. The briefcase has been replaced by a good read and the suits now hang neatly in his closet, yet he still carries all those individual characteristics. He's my Dad. It was the person I wanted to be, and is still the man I want to become.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home