The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Friday, August 20, 2004

This Monday marked my first day of true work. In this job or the ones to come (since it seems like I'm a nomad) I will forever be fascinated with the dynamics of the busniess and environment around me. As a consultant, I'm an outsider. I don't know the in's and out's of Travelers Insurance, but I am suppose to know about a specific area, an area in which they need help. Through the week I learn some tasks, shake some hands, and go to a Red Sox game for a "team building" session. Let’s substitute team building for watching other Analysts and Consultants get wasted in front of managers. I had a few, but knew this was no place to go crazy.

I've learned I hate computers. Accenture being IT based, I don't think I'll be able to avoid them. I know with most jobs you won't, can't avoid them, and that fact alone is sad. I just want them to play some mp3s because I'm too cheap to buy the CD and check for the occasional email. Now I sit with glazed eyes entering in data. I hope it doesn't remain too IT based in the months, even years to come. We'll see.

As a consultant we are viewed as outsiders and in meetings have been heard it’s us vs. them. When you hire consultants you want there to be full cooperation, you hired them for the synergy you hoped they would bring to the table. How can I tell I'm still not ready for the real world? In meetings while informed and bringing issues to the table I feel like it’s a game. That this is what kids do when they play house. I'm playing business. It's even funnier because the client side is not entry level people, but senior managers, people in their late 50s. I daydream of saying something random and/or asking people if they truly care. I don’t think they do.

I also wonder about future generations. One problem arose and the client said they could bypass it. Another worker said that would be a good fix, but wouldn't work in the foreseeable future. The guy replied I'll be gone before a problem arises and then it won't be my problem. Not the best attitude there champ.

Another point I'd like to bring up, eventually I'm going to have at least one person underneath me on the client side. Now I won't be appraising them and determine if they deserve this year's Christmas bonus. I will however have tasks to give them and have to make sure they are done right and on time. If I was a 40 year old I can assure you I wouldn't want some fresh out of college kid giving me orders.

Payday was today, woo hmmmmmm. It would be a WooHoo!!!!!!!, but its amazing how much is left, or should say not left. After taxes, FICA (which I'll never get thanks to all those baby boomers), medical, dental, 401K I get a check that pays rent, bills, and maybe a bag of popcorn at the movies. Because of this I have thought more about marriage. To whom? No one at all right now (marriage actually scares me too). But the idea of two income and no kids sounds very appealing. Now if only could find a trust fund girl with a beach house and a ski cabin.....if only.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To make a comment or two on your last paragraph...You may not have enough cash to go towards the Tag watch after your first paycheck. (But you still may have enough to buy a third one off of Canal.) Paychecks in general are a funny thing. How much to save, how much to spend, and on who or what.

I'm beginning to feel that I will be in ever-present state of "want", rather than "have". Don't get me wrong, a paycheck isn't everything, and I'm no where near a state of need. It's just funny how the necessities outweigh the wants in the share of the monthly budget, but the wants outweigh the necessities in emotional priority.

tj

7:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home