The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

QATAR COMMENTARY - WEEK 2

1. I saw the Emir's convoy earlier this week. I have to say I like it more than the USA's. For one instead of black Tahoe's, motorcycles, or Crown Vics guiding the limo, it's red BMW 5 Series. There isn't any limos either in this convoy either. It's nothing about a dozen black Mercedes S Classes just booking it down the road.

2. A lot of the time when you're over here it can feel like the Western world. At lunch we have gone to a couple American establishments. Fuddruckers serves the same burgers with the same decor, Guns N Roses was over the speakers, but then you see a group of men in white throbes and you realize you aren't in Texas anymore.

3. For whatever reason the office bathroom has a horrible odor. It's not a "typical" bathroom odor, but it's not good.

4. Today I'm going to go buy some blank CDs and make a couple mixes. Granted my drive to the office is less than 5 minutes, but one can only hear some much Arabic music before wanting a change. (There is one station that is half the time English other half French.)

5. I met a couple guys that live in the apartment. I tell you what, Aussies are always the coolest people. Even without the accent they always seem down for a good time and have a laid back nature. I kind of wonder if my exposure to Aussies is biased. I only meet those that travel, maybe the ones that stay in Australia are lame.

6. Here's a stimulus package idea that I think would employ thousands and increase productivity across the board. It's seriously time for the US to get on the metric system. I would then be able to avoid these conversations of clarifying temperatures, doing rough math in the gym to convert the kilogram weights into pounds, etc. Think about it, we would need people to construct all the signs, survey the land, and start making new equipment. From weight machines to rulers. I know this would be expensive and a headache, but at least it would put us on par with the rest of the world.

7. Muslims don't eat pork. In fact pork is banned everywhere in Qatar. Now they try to make up with it with beef bacon, but that's not the same. So I find it funny that the headline on the main newspaper was Qatar has it's first Swine Flu case. I don't know exactly how it's contracted, but I think there is some irony there. Jimmy Kimmel I think has found exactly how its passed on from one another: http://video.aol.com/video-detail/jimmy-kimmel-live-swine-flu-prevention-cartoon/1568060893

8. I went to a bar here for the first time. Since Muslim has banned alcohol the only place you can get it is at an international hotel (and at New York prices). Now I know it's one thing to be carded at a bar to make sure one's of age, it's a whole other ordeal for me to drive back to get my passport back in the apt and complete a form. This bar was pretty hilarious in that the guy to girl ratio was literally 30:1. I guess that's what you should expect when you have a lot of guys in construction and oil & gas. But if you were a lady you'd have the pick of the litter. There were Asians, Europeans with their tight jeans and greasy mullets, to Americans and Africans. What is funny is that this place had a square of dance real estate. I don't think I've ever seen a dance floor with a lot more guys on it than girls. Maybe guys just want to dance (not this one). I did get the chance to visit with an old A&M guy I hadn't seen in years. He's here on business and was just telling me there is nothing to do here, but at least you get paid well. If you didn't know this, being an expat has the following the benefits: Base pay plus premium (Qatar is around 40%), housing, usually a car allowance of some sort, education for your children, rest and relaxation budget (i.e. travel abroad or for home which equates to a couple thousand a month). I can see the temptation to work abroad. Anyways we met a few people at the bar and it's interesting to hear their stories. Japan girls who are flight attendants for Qatar Air to Spanish girls working at the university. Everyone has a story that brought them to Doha. The city in the middle of nowhere

9. I love driving here. There's hardly any intersections, just those roundabouts. But there really isn't any rules. I've seen people head towards me head on trying to pass (when passing isn't suppose to be allowed). Everyone drives quick. Pretty much all turns are yields. Oh, and its a rental so no need to slowdown for speed bumps or corners for that matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home