The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Thursday, May 06, 2004

5 O'clock shadow and a couple slices of bread.

The life of being a twenty something and unemployed. It's not the glamorous lifestyle of wasting time at the mall, eating out, hanging with friends, and week long vacations that we all hope it would be. It's actually consists of countless hours searching the web for that perfect place of employment. I went to Barnes and Noble and luckily there on the magazine rack shining like a beacon of hope was the one issue of Advertising Age I needed. The one that comes out only once a year that lists all the agencies in the US. I've spent most the days going to their respective websites where either an online form or email address is listed. Then to my delight I get an automatically generated email that if you read between the lines states, "There are more qualified people and even if there is not we will only be interviewing people that are recommended to us. So if you aren't a relative or a friend of a friend then please admire our present portfolio on www.ouragency.com and best of luck to you schmuck." I then go to Monster.com where now and then a good position is posted. Go ahead, be a Monster. If I'm unemployed by the end of this month, you don't want to see the monster I'll become.

Now my day isn't filled with countless hours of TV, or reading a good book, it consists of this machine I am typing on now and the same mp3's playing over and over and over. I am confident I will land a job, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried either. I've almost exhausted my resources and now it's coming up to sit and wait. Something in Texas should work out, but just as life is, nothing is a given. I head to NYC next week for an interview. A week ago I was stoked, I get to go back to the city of my most incredible summer. Now I look at it as one huge expense. X amount for airfare, X amount for taxi rides, X amount for food, X amount for getting pickpocketed. Which sums up to a whole lot of cash that I don't have.

Unemployment isn't just a bottomless void of negative thoughts, technically I could sleep in. Sleeping in for me though is 7:30, but I have to admit that is another two hours of blissful sleep I didn't get a month ago. I don't have to shave which is something I really do like. Funny thing and a thing I just don't get my facial hair is red. Real read, just bizarre.

Living in Motown, a city that needs more town. Maybe in several weeks I'll be able to call this place: Leavingtown, Hopetoneverhavetolivehereagaintown, and the list goes on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home