The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Friday, November 20, 2009

So the other day I turned 29.

Definitely an adult, but some days I still don't feel that way. I'd have to say most days. I wear hoodies, I surf the web, I'm in school. Then again those hoodies are from JCrew, the web surfing is mainly news sites (Wall Street, Drudge Report) and school is my pursuit of an MBA.

There's that saying that as you get older time moves faster. I truly believe it. I don't know why it works out that way. Last I checked there are still 24 hours in a day and 365 days a year. Most days still mirror those of your growing up years. School is replaced with work. Evening time is filled with homework, catching up with friends, the gym, and now and then the occasional tv show. Free time is filled with vacations that are no longer road trips with the family but trips with friends.

I can say I've had a good 29 years, and hopefully many more to come. As a perfectionist though I feel that I could do better. I look at young entrepreneurs and the wealth they have created and am envious. I look at my free time and wonder why I can't just use that time to plug away at learning a new skill (cooking, guitar, foreign currency trading, something). I understand its good to let the body and mind take a break, but now and then I wish I was more effective with my free time.

A lot is going to happen in my 29th year. I should finish my MBA and as a result start a new career that appears as of now to require a move. I will become an uncle for the fourth time. While not set in stone, I should be setting my foot on a continent I've never been to. Exciting times for sure, but the core remains. I'm still a child in a more adult body (lets be honest I can still pull off looking 22). I think one of the great compliments ever directed at me was my summer spent in NYC. I was 21 and in love with a city. I was walking after work to a subway station with a late 20 year old female in the creative department. She's said something like "Dave, New Yorkers don't walk like you." Me, "What do you mean?" "You look up at the skyline and not down at the sidewalk. You take in the city for what it is."

When did those New Yorkers start to ignore the skycrapers and their beautiful and unique architecture? Watching my niece and nephews grow up, its amazing to see how a child takes everything in with clear eyes and a fresh mind. When people age, I think most of us lose our sense of wonder. Everyone should now and then just take a minute and think about what is before them (good example: www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOtEQB-9tvk ). That beside belongings, that people you meet all have stories to share and lessons to learn from. I will still have many growing/maturing experiences to come, but pretty confident part of my inner child will remain.

In undergrad, I loved discovering new musicians. I don't do that well of a job anymore, but I have a couple close friends that still help me out. Here's some songs I've had on repeat:

Citizen Cope "Sideways"
Damien Jurado "Johnny Go Riding"
Foreign Born "Union Hall"
Ghostland Observatory "The Band Marches On"
Iron and Wine "The Trapeze Swinger"
Johnny Cash "I Hung My Head"
Josh Ritter "Girl in the War"
Kid Cudi "Pursuit of Happiness"
The Knux "Cappuccino"
One Eskimo "Kandi"
Paulo Nutini "Candy"
Phoenix "1901"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home