The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

QATAR - WEEK 4 COMMENTARY

Happy 4th of July! This is the second time in the past three years I have spent it abroad. It never feels right, so maybe I'll cook some hotdogs tonight.

1. So how do you celebrate the 4th in another country? Well through meeting different people here in Qatar I was invited to a party at the US Embassy last night, specifically inside the Marine House. I drank a couple cheap beers and played darts with some of our finest. While some of us (and now and then me included) are against US military movements, I always hold these men and women in the highest of honor. Forunately the ones I was able to meet last night are not on the front lines at this time.

2. Tipping isn't common here. If you do go out to eat there is maybe a 10% service charge included. What I have since learned is that if you leave a few additional Qatar Riyals on the table it most likely will not go to the waiter/waitress. These tips are often taken up by the restaurant or hotel. It is frustrating because these people are already living on next to nothing and most of what they make is sent straight back to home for their families. It makes you appreciate the life back home all the more. I have tried to get in the habit of tipping others (baggers at the grocies, etc.) It's generally no more than a few Riyals which is close to a $1, but they always seem grateful.

3. I went to see Transformers 2 (do not recommend). One thing that's different besides the Arabic subtitles is that you choose your assigned seat. Another thing that's frustrating is sitting next to Qatari's that decided to talk. While in the US I would have changed seats or told them to shut up, I don't have that option. There's a pecking order of status here, at the ex-pats are not on top. The same goes to driving. Here's hoping my boiled up road rage from here won't be unleashed in Houston

4. I understand a lot of the workers here may not have access to showers or may not be accustomed to them. That being said, now and then I wish Doha would just crop dust the area with deodarant. There have been many uncomfortable elevator rides.

5. A lot of celebrities died it seems lately. I think I'll miss Billy Mays the most. Here is he using his signature informercial style to order at McDonalds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtYdDK1uTDI

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Ward said...

I was going to leave a smart-ass comment about how you don't post much, I then I caught the tail end of this post that I must have missed when I originally read it. I actually didn't know Mays died. Most of the news down here has been about MJ and Honduras, etc. But that is sad. He seemed so happy and energetic. And apparently he was pretty young.

10:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home