The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

QATAR COMMENTARY - WEEK 3

There's not too many new Qatar observations to report.

1. I went jet skiing for the first time ever. Here in Qatar there was no instructions provided. A key and optional life jacket was all that was needed. I also tried to do some negoitiating, but feel they drive a hard bargaining. In the end jet skiing is fun, but even after like 10 minutes, you get the jist of it. You can go fast in open water and do sharp turns. The scenery doesn't change all that much, it's just water.

2. Now I don't know if this is smart or foolish on my part, but I have started to download songs for free on the internet. I haven't done that in years once the RIA started cracking down on it. But I guess I figure new country, perhaps new rules. The songs are quite the excentric mix from Tom Petty "Wildflowers" to LCD Soundsystem "Daft Punk is Playing at My House"

3. I saw MJ passed away. I'm sure it's all over the news in the US, but here I only watch movie and comedy channels. It's werid, but death does seem to usually come in three's. Ed McMahon and Farrah Fawcett all within a couple days.

4. For as much hanging out at the pool I do, I'm still relatively pale.

5. I feel like I need to follow US legislation a bit more. It seems a lot of bills are being passed at a time when our country is facing massive debt. I would like to assume our leaders are experts or being assisted with experts that will make our country stronger, but when a 309 page ammendment is added at 3AM to the climate bill I can only wonder how many took the time to actually read it. I'm all for organizations reducing emissions, but a cap and trade system isn't going to work. People complain about oil prices, well a lot of the run up was due to speculation. The Street will love to find a way to profit from this new system should it pass the Senate. I'm pretty sure companies will now move to countries that have less restrictions. So the US will lose jobs, and the globe will not be any better off. This purely my opinion and I hope to be proved wrong.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home