The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

QATAR FINAL THOUGHTS


Today I had to give a 20 minute presentation to the Controller leadership team in Doha. This presentation very well could help dictate if I will receive an offer. Presentations are generally not my favorite thing to do, and this wasn't an exception. That being said I feel I was able to convey the results of my summer effort and can leave knowing I tried my best. In the end, that's maybe the most anyone can ask for. Now my internship isn't completely over. I still need to go to the office tomorrow and I will have two weeks in Houston. Where alas I will have another major presentation in front of an even larger crowd. In the end I hope to receive an offer, and will know my fate in two weeks. Either way, I can say I had a remarkable summer.


So besides work, what are my final thoughts on my experiences in Qatar? I ate at Indian, Thai, Moroccan, Lebanese, Chinese, and American restaurants. I rode in vehicles as nice as Land Rovers and Jaguars to my lowly Nissan Craptima. I received a parking ticket and nearly caused an accident in one of the famous roundabouts. I became lost on the roads only able to find my way home. I partied at the US Embassy, jet skied in the Persian Gulf, and went dune bashing. I met people from all over the world, each with their unique story. I went to 4 different grocery stores and yet not one of them have all the groceries I'm accustomed to. I felt desert heat and frigid A/Cs. I saw Islamic art and modern day graffiti. I visited my Alma mater's Middle East campus and went to a violin and piano concert.


It's safe to say in that my seven weeks here I took as much advantage of my situation as possible. The city's latest developments are more modern than I expected, but yet they still didn't take the advantage of city planning. Stepping outside the city center one can very easily observe Qatar's roots. I have witnessed first hand modern day slavery. The work conditions of the Filipino/Indian construction workers are inhuman at best. Long days, blistering heat, cramped quarters, all done for a meager wage. It's impressive to me that the most popular store in the mall is the one that is able to transfer money to their respective countries. The dedication these men and women have to their families back home is something I wish all American would be exposed to.


I didn't have that many opportunities to visit with local Qataris. Due to all the construction and business taking place they only make up 20% of the population. That overall lack of them would only be one reason why. There is a pecking order of status here and by all means they are in the upper echelon. There is a sense of entitlement that is anything greater than I've ever seen (that includes the SMU undergrads). It makes me wonder what will happen when the oil and natural gas runs out. I will long be dead. At the current production rates, it is estimated their natural gas supplies should last for 200 years under current technology. To say it's a massive field, is an understatement. The current male receives land and roughly $5000 a month in royalties from the government when he turns 21. This rate will increase as gas prices increase and more of the LNG trains come online. It is no wonder why that there is lack of work ethic or an overall lack of work that a local plans to achieve. Qatar has put in a place 2030 vision. A vision that looks at building business, furthering education, reducing environmental impact, and improving social values. It's an admirable vision, but a culture so entrenched in customs it is one I find hard for them to achieve.


In the end, I could see myself living here (as long as I'm justifiably compensated to do so). For everything that I dislike about America (racism, high government spending, lack of culture in some regards), I generally leave America wanting to come back. It is a powerful country, but is only made powerful for the most part from its ambitious citizens. Even though racism or discrimination (honestly, probably in much less of a degree than most of the world) exists it truly is a land of opportunity. While I didn't vote for Obama, I definitely feel proud in my country for willing to depart from historically white roots. We are a country that was formed by men who believed in freedom and the greater good. I believe much of their original vision is still met today.


Life is truly a remarkable journey. In this past year alone I was able to eat spicy noodles in Taiwan and came to understand how miserable a dust storm in the Middle East can be. I have a lot of wants in my life and I doubt that will change. Even in those moments, I need to take pause. I need to remind myself just how fortunate my upbringing has been. My life so far has been nothing short of extraordinary.


3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Ward said...

What a classy way to end your trip!
Glad you enjoyed the experience.

11:21 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back to the ole' USA! Like to hear the entire story of the roundabout experience....

2:40 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home