The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Friday, February 07, 2003

Well, its still really cold, really wet, and cloudy. I've seen the sun for probably about 10 minutes my entire time here. Also ever since I went sledding at A&M which was about two weeks ago I'vé had a nasty cold. Every time I cough(so about every ten minutes), I feel as if I'm going to lose a lung. My Polish rooommate gave me some medicine. Don't really know what it was because it was well...in Polish. It didn't hurt, but it didn't help. I think warm weather will be my only cure.

One good thing about the cold is that it can be used as a refrigator. There are about 10 people on my floor and only two microfridges. Since they are just packed I put my stuff on the balcony, it's kind of convient like that. So I finally experienced what the other exchange students have been talking about. It's called Aldi. It's just a very cheap grocery store. Basically you go in there and try to move groceries so you can have a box to put your items in. The quality isn't the greatest, but when you can fill up a box for 12 euros you can't really complain. Another thing I find funny about groceries is they don't have the heatlh information on the package. Then you look around and realize Europeans are skinnier than Americans.

Last night I experienced washing clothes here. It's about 3 euros a load, which is kind of expensive. At least they could have put some instructions in English....ignorant American I know. Anyways I figured it out....about 40 minutes later I wondered why it hadn't stopped. I decided just to stop it myself. The dryers were the same way...they kept going and going. I talked to the RA person and she was like sometimes they take awhile, sometimes they don't. So I guess it's different every time. So in line with washing clothes, the Peru guy ón my floor came up to me and asked if I knew how to wash clothes. I said yes, and he was excited for he doesn't know how to do anything. He is use to a servant. He has never cooked anything, washed anything, or cleaned anything. He said he was really worried about the vacuum. I assured him it wouldn't bad and would show him how to work one.

Plus about Maastricht, waffles on the street. They are warm and good. Like a big cookie. These will become my hot dog of the Netherlands. Negative about Maastricht. 2 dollar euro coins. You got to be careful if you drop coins or you could lose a lot of money, not a lot but I'm just broke.

Classes are still a pain, but are getting a bit better. Well not really, I've just accepted the fact and am dealing with it. We introduced ourselves in project management the other day. I'm the youngest one with several students in their late 20's pursuing their MBA. So I must be one smart SOB.

One last funny story, we were talking over dinner just about anything. I was like last night I had a dream I was at my old job just working, doing nothing in particular. This girl was like isn't it funny, you wake up and you'ré in Europe. Is it not usually the other way around.

To end it, I'll leave you with the tip of the week: If you have to buy a phone card, go to an Asian store. It's a little known fact a guy from Hong Kong told me. I got a 2 hour plus card to call just the US for 4 cents a minute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home