The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

A continuation....

This post will kind of expand on the last one. The passage of time. There's a reason for this. This past weekend I met up with old roommates and friends down at A&M to watch the Ags beat up (sloppily) Baylor. These friends would help shape me throughout college and today still have an impact on my life. I just can't imagine 10 years have passed from when my parents dropped me off and moved me in the dorm. Freshman year was filled with confusion, excitement, good times and bad, independence, and wanting to have support. It's probably the same for every freshman. There were memorable moments with road trips, meeting new friends, starting a college education. There were moments I would probably prefer to forget: roommate having sex in the bunk bed above me or the amount of time I spent in the library studying (I was truly a perfectionist). There are moments that I wish just didn't happen. I wasn't involved with the construction of Bonfire. That being said it truly made for a sombering moment on our campus. It's never a good thing when someone dies. There's just something a bit more heart wrenching when it involves a tradegy that affects the lives of the young.

They say college is the best time of your life. Well it's definitely not the worst. The best is debateable. I'll only know as the years tick by and the other experiences I gain. I'll have to say your 20's aint bad. Bringing home (or apartment) an income, becoming truly independent, and still having a sense of adventure is pretty hard to beat.

These college friends I visited over the weekend, and those that weren't there are truly important in my life. I've started to refind my faith over the past year. The one thing that the various books I've read has touched me, is just how important a sense of community is. It's important to be surrounded by others. It's better to be surrounded by those that really know what makes you, you.

We reminsiced over the weekend. Rehashed inside jokes, and new ones were definitely made. Here are a few of the highlights:
- One of us (not me) getting annoyed with the hotel receptionist at 3 in the morning
- Being unecessarily loud at Taco Cabana
- Drinking and then spilling Mexican martinis on one another
- Getting a waitress to sing to us (why she chose Beyonce's "Ego" is beyond me)

10 years before college I was 8. That's wild. 10 years from now I'll be 39. I can't even imagine what can transpire through those years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home