The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Friday, February 21, 2003

The weather is finally starting to turn around. Its been sunny the last few days, and even was relatively warm yesterday. I think through the weekend it'll stay in the 40s which should be nice. The town square has now brought tables and chairs outside. I on the other hand am stuck in the library on a Friday, a day I don't even have classes. Woo Hoo!!!

So here's the big news for the day. The Dutch love bicycles, since its pretty much flat through out the country and economical they do make sense. It amazes seeing a mom with two kids on a bike, or ladies in heels and skirts using such a mode of transportation. Well I've been in search for one since the 25 minute walk to class is getting old. Yesterday I had class across the river and decided to check out the shop by the train station. No luck. I had also heard of this guy who has a lot of bikes in his back yard(I'm guessing stolen bikes). I walked for a hour and never such a place more or less a back yard even. This morning I pass two shops on the way to school. The first one had some used ones but for over a hundred euros. The second one had one for 45, this is the cheapest I've found here. So another American capitalistic thought, sell cheap bikes over here. Mine is a clunker, but that gives it some character. Like most Dutch bikes it has a head and tail lamp. Also a bell you get to ring if a pedestrian is in your way. For some reason my bell has picture of two clowns on it. Strange. So I rode the bike to the library and it was a bumpy ride, these cobblestone roads aren't the best. Anyways I figure its a wise investment and should be able to sell it to a foreign student for about the same price when I leave. I'm just hoping it doesn't break anytime soon.

Also the show the Osbournes was on TV last night. They don't edit it over here, caught me by surprise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home