The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Monday, February 24, 2003

I realized I can say thank you in six languages, four fluently.

Do you ever look at where you are in life and wonder just how did you get where you are?

Saturday night, I was in an American owned, Mexican themed restaraunt in Luxembourg, drinking Belgium beer, listening to French people karokee. All I could do was just look around and smile. I was sitting there thinking I could never have planned this.

Anyways Saturday morning, my future roommate(Todd) and I decided to go to Luxembourgh for the weekend. We didn't know what was there, but figured it would be fun to say we went. After three train rides we arrived to the city. Not too much detail, but it was really a beautiful city, my favorite Europe experience so far. We explored a bit and realized we were starving. We wanted to eat, but Luxembourgh is an expensive city. We found a place called Quick burger, I'd say its pretty much a McDonalds(which was two buildings down). The lady taking our order just laughed at us because well we were confused.

Afterwards we decide to find the hostel, which took a long time. We checked in to our closet, I mean room, no closet. Best way to describe it. We then decided to head back into the city and take it all in. Had dinner at a nice place then ended up at the bar for karokee. The Dj was in his 50s and that made it all the more enjoyable.

The next morning we grab some breakfast in the hostel and then go back to the town. Walking around we realized that we practially saw everything the day before. Not a thing was open, but that seems common here on Sunday. We did find a tourist stop and witnessed one of the funniest things ever. Tobacco is cheap in the Luxembourg and my friend was thinking of buying a cigar. Well the guy behind the counter was adamant that he smell the quality. He would shove the cigar right against one of Todd's nostrils and then shove it against the other. I had to leave or I would have started laughing. Just had to witness it. Not many people get to Luxembourg, and we wanted to get our Passports stamped. Since so much travel happens between the EU they don't bother stamping passports. We were deteremined to find a way around this. We go to this information desk and explain to her our situation. Well she stamps our passport, but it says Luxembourgh information. Not really a passport stamp. She smiled and so did we.

Train ride back was a little interesting. We met an old WWII vet and well he decided to tell us some stories. Lots and lots of stories. I didn't want to disrespect the man and start reading, so I pretended to slowly nod off. He noticed and said go ahead son get some sleep. I put on the headphones and was safe. Todd on the other hand wasn't so lucky.

On this trip Todd and I got to really get to know each other. He's a great guy, one I can truly joke around with but differences became apparent. He's an NYU finance guy with big dreams. He says he can't picture himself retiring and knows he'll be working the 80 plus hours a week when he starts. Then hopes to move out to Connecticut, buy his Porsche and do the commute thing. I can see it happening. It's truly great he has his dreams and ambitions, but I feel life is more than making a lot of money and then dying rich. You need to get out there and experience it. Sure he might have more financial wealth, but I wonder whose personal wealth will be better. I can only hope it'll be mine.

So back in the dorm I visit with the good Polish roommate. He was excited for he had bought some cologne while he was in Germany taking exams for the past week. He hadn't finished his courses before arriving to Maastricht. The only advice I could give on the cologne was to make sure your girlfriend likes it. He was like you are a smart man. I just nodded my head.

Another thing I noticed is how many more cards I have on me. Two phone cards, a prepaid chip knip, a regular chip knip(equivalent to a Dutch Debit Card), a student ID, a student enrollment ID, an extra insurance card, a gym membership card, hostel card, and then the passport. Just ridiculous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home