The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Update - Week of 2/4/07-2/10/07

Wall Street Journal
No travel, no Wall Street Journal. Just your typical CNN.com, drudgereport.com, and Fortune Magazine reading.

Book - Fast Food Nation
Author - Eric Schlosser
Rating - 4 stars
Review - Honestly I thought this book was going to solely focus on the largest US fast food chain - McDonalds. It does to a degree, but this book covers so much more. History, Marketing, Franchising, Farming, Ranching, Slaughterhouses, Global Expansion... It paints a more complete image of the industry. Learning what goes into some of the products is gross and sounds unhealthy. That being said, who really ever thought fast food was good for you? I'll still eat a burger, and that won't change. I didn't realize this book came out in 2000. I have the revised edition with added "afterword" The author discusses how this book and the movie "Super Size Me" brought to light a lot issues to the public's eye. This afterword was added in 2002. He talks about some changes have resulted and how the industry started to plateau. He should actually now write a second "afterword." Many fast food chains exploded in growth in the last few years. Breakfast items being just one source that has only fattened the C level's pockets. Americans for the most part are lazy. That alone will continue to foster the development of fast food. We don't want things now, we wanted them already.

GMAT
I might study this evening, but can make no promises. Instead this weekend I drove down to Houston on Thursday and was able to spend time with my nephews and niece. Who are every bit adorable as ever.

MBA, Scholarships, Research more into what degree/focus and where I would like to attend
No major update to report. However I'm starting toy with idea of focusing on energy companies. I don't know if global warming is man made caused. Yes there are major reports being issued that state it is. By all means I do think this is an area we need to research, but I don't think we can pin point it to man made gasses yet. Animals release a lot of methane. The sun was actually very active in the 20th century, and only stabilized in 1999. Some scientists feel that when the sun becomes lazy again we may have a global cooling. No need to run on a tangent, I still feel the power industry is going to be growing and changing. Global warming gasses aside there is only so much coal and oil physically in this planet. Alternative resources are going to need to be researched and developed.

Songs (just something for you to enjoy..sorry if I repeat any ever)
1. Joseph Arthur "A Smile that Explodes"
2. Josh Joplin Group "I've Changed"
3. Josh Rouse "It's the Nighttime"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home