The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Weekend Update.

Friday, a friend and I decided to take a day trip to Bruge, Belgium. Nothing is really all that special there, its just your typical quaint town. Picturesque kind of thing. Took some photos, saw some old churches, climbed a tower, and then headed home. While I was there, I finally purchased some Belgium chocolate. It is good, but now and then a Snickers really hits the spot.

The next day morning I left for Germany. Frankfurt to be exact. I was to meet up with an old friend, one I hadn't seen in over a year. They were to meet me at the train station. They figured I could get there by noon, but being on the budge I am I usually avoid the fast trains because of the extra cost. So I left the Guesthouse around 1 and probably got in around 1:15ish. This was the same time they decided to leave the meeting place. One quick note, the train ride from Cologne, Germany to Mainz was incredible. It's very hilly and follows the Rhine river. I saw castles, now how exciting is that.

So Im trying to get a hold of Kathy using her cell phone, but I have no luck. I would later find out that when in Germany and calling a cell phone you have to add a zero before one of the series of numbers. I decide to head to the hotel. I make it there after much confusion. I had to take some local trains and one was under construction. So when it started going the opposite way at one of the stops I became much confused. So I went up to this guy and did the whole American thing of saying Spechlizine zee English, or something along those lines. Turns out it was very fluent and helped me quite a bit. Once Im at the hotel I am finally able to reach her on the cell phone and we meet up at the train station. It ended up being a quite a long day.

The next day we rented a car and followed some Germans that my friends mom knew. I realized it was my first time to ride in a car since I've been here. Again, the country side was amazing. However I enjoyed catching up with my friend more than anyting else. The next moring I woke up at 5:30 so I could make it back to Maastricht. I didn't get in till slightly after 1. I should just pay for the faster trains.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch Bush's speech last night, because of the whole time difference. It looks like war is going to happen and I wish it wasn't. Now I realize I don't have all the information and that it is best to put my trust in our government, yet it seems so hard to do. Innoncent lives will be lost. There is no need for that. I find it funny that before Bush became president the only country he had ever been to was Mexico. Maybe if he saw the world he would realize we are all the same he would think about the consequences of war a bit more. We all have hopes, fears, and go through emotions. Sure on the outside we may look differnet and speak a different language, but we are all humans. I kind of wish Bush would head over to Iraq and see what he is about to destroy. Don't get me wrong, I realize Saddam is not the best leader. I know he has committed genocide. I wish we could snipe the guy. However you have to sit down and ask yourself why Iraq. I know for a fact there are leaders in Africa who violate human rights. We don't go after these, maybe if they had oil we would. So even though war is going to happen, I hope its well planned out and citizen deaths are kept to a minimal. No family deserves to break up, no kid deserves not to grow up without a mom or dad taken away by war.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home