The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Friday, March 07, 2003

Whirlwind Italy trip update.

Last Saturday, March 1st I believe, Todd and I began our adventure. An adventure it has been. It was Carnaval break in the Netherlands and we were out of there. We were to catch our flight the next day out of a small airport by Brussells. Armed with a few maps and my good sense of direction, at least I think its good we left. We had our backpacks on and money or I should say euros in our pockets. Bus to train station. Train to Leige, Belgium. Switch trains, now to Brussells. I've heard there wasn't much in Brussles, but the town square is nice. Well it took us a while to find. Basically we were loss for 2 hours or so. Now dont get me wrong, even though I am a guy, I'm willing to ask for directions. We were given wrong ones. Anyways we found the square and a couple of side streets that were really nice. We ate mussells in Brussells. Cute huh. Ok, so its getting dark time to get going, but where you ask. We didn't know either. We took a train to Chariolla(spelling is wrong, but the story goes on). From the train, took a bus to a desolate airport. Ryan Air is the only one who uses it. Its a cheap airline, thankfully. Looks like we are spending the night there. We stayed up, played some chess (Im now 2 and 1, so go me). Got a little goofy trying to entertain ourselves in this two gate airport. There were others spending the night, including one Italian who offered us anything he had. Food wise. Mister Cash( the ATM machine) the tourist brochures, and our conversations were getting dull. Time to sleep. Todd locked his bag to himself. I tied knots to mine and put the shoulder straps through my legs. No one was going to steal my stuff. No one did, but the metal chairs that made my bed killed my back.

Next morning. We are awake and have to wait for our flight. The reason we wanted to be near the airport on Sunday was we didn't think we could catch our flight if we took an early train on Sunday. Now off to Rome. Last check in for the hostel is 2:30. So land in the airport, find a bus to the main train station. Hop on a subway for free. The machines wanted exact change, something neither of us had so we followed some people right past the police. Hey, when in Rome right. Now we are walking trying to find the hostel. We just couldn't. So we get to a hotel, they call and to find out the street number I thought I had, was the city code, the place was across the street. Drop off our stuff and go explore. We did Rome like it was nothing. We walked a ton. We were like hey the colloseum, click of the cameras, hey fountains of tri veni, click again, and kept on walking. Its hard to believe we were there. I dont want to get into details of every day. Overall a lot of fun.

Next morning, the Vatican. The Sisteen chapel is nice, but you know what, so is every other ceiling in that museum/chapel. I was amazed by the whole thing. My favorite thing/monument/whatever though was St. Petersburg cathedral. Amazing is how I'll sum it up. So to be cheap we were now off to Florence to stay with Todds friends. So back on the subway to the train station. On a train to Florence. Arrive in Florence at night, find the place. Sleep.

Next day explored Florence. Beautiful city. Its what I picture Spain to look like. Pastel colors and red tiled roof kind of things. We saw a lot, held hands, ok not really, but we felt like a couple doing everything together. Next day, saw the statue of David, the typical Florence thing. I snuck a picture of it, even though its banned to do. Also took one of the sisteen, another banned place. They were just asking for it. Well we walked, I can't stress to you how much we have walked. Its ridicolous. Finally saw my first Ferrari in Italy. Went to a peace rally too. Italy, another country who just doesn't want war. Can't blame them. We didn't stick around. The Communists flags flying grabbed my attention though.

Now its Thursday, Todd and I say our half closed eye goodbyes. He is heading back to Netherlands later to meet his girlfriend. I'm bumming around Italy. Not a bad place to bum around. I had to leave the apartment at 5:45 in the morning to catch my train to Cinque Terre. Walking around at 5:45 in a foreign town is kind of funny. Its dead quiet, and you know you stick out. Still I made it. Took a train to La Specia. Got off and got on a train to Manarola, one of the five towns of Cinque Terre. Its along the upper west coast of Italy. I am thinking it might be the most beautiful part of earth I've ever seen. I can't explain, it was just awesome seeing these houses built along cliffs along the Mediterrean. These 5 towns are connected by walking paths. That are over a hour and a half between each town. I dropped off the bag at the hostel and grabbed the camera. I saw three towns, so I was happy with myself. The walk back was horrible. I was just beat and all this up and down walking was killing me. Obvisiously I made it for here I am talking about it. Spent a good 6 hours or so going up and down. Ok, so a small world thing. Well I thought hostels were just for young people. Some might be, but I've seen a lot of old people. Like families. Anyways small world thing. I was talking to two guys in my room. Both from Texas, and one of the guy always goes up to Billings. He talked about the Brew Pub, and to myself I was like I've been there.

So tomorrow I head off to London to meet up with some A&M friends. Im exicted, but realize I need to be relatively close to Rome so I dont miss my flight. Cinque Terre is about 7 hours away. I decided to spend a night in Rome. I looked at a map and thought why not take a detour. Pisa. Well sure enough the tower leans. Click of the camera. Walk back to the train station. A lot longer walk than I thought it would be. Back on the train to Rome. The train was packed, I was right by the bathroom, sort of between cars with a few other people. After a few stops though, some chairs opened up. Now trains in europe are torture. They are nice, easy to use, and the rocking motion just makes you want to sleep, especially after you have been hiking and what not. Well can you sleep. Not really, because you have a good chance of getting your stuff stolen. So I keep switching between reading and listening to music.

Arrive in Rome and go to the closet hostel that is listed in my book. Its full, Im afraid this how it is going to be. I like to be spontaneous and kind of find things. Traveling europe, it really isn't the best thing to do. They send me to the tourist office that closes in 20 minutes. I get there, they book me a room. That is where I am now. Its actually an alright place for not needing a key to get in a room. I just wish there wasn't someone in my room because I need to make my bed and repack. I dont want to turn on the lights. Well the weary travel is going to be awaken in about 15 minutes because I need to get some stuff done.

The plan tomorrow is to check out a few sights I still want to see and then take the bus to the airport. Fly to London. Sometime next week I should write part 2. I'm growing weary and am looking forward getting back to Maastricht. Words I never thought I would really say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home