The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Tuesday, September 16, 2003

In the land of corporate backdrops and color coordinated polos.

Today was a long a day. A day I spent 12 hours away from the apartment. Days like these make me wonder about the long hours I will have to put into work. I'm going to die. I realized something though, I want one more adventure while Im in my 20s. Some can see starting a career as an adventure, and I do have to admit to a certain degree it is. However its not the adventure I have in my mind. I want to head to the mountains. Be a ski lift operator. In New Zealand. Now that would be ideal, but I would like to trade in the dress shoes for a pair of flip flops or ski boots. So if any corporations are reading this. 22 Male marketing major seeks major corporation. Enjoys bonsues, high starting salary, vacations, and creative work. Dislikes egos, long hours, and cubicles. Willing to commit, but not till June.

I went to the engineering career fair today. Alas I am a marketing major, but as I have learned many times its all about networking. I observed a few things at that career fair that struck me as amusing. They say there isn't much diversity on our campus. Well there is, and it comes in the form of engineers. I feel sorry for those male students who are engineers because well its almost all males. Now those who are girls have the pick of the litter. Lots of options. Resumes I believe should look professional and at the same time unique. Engineers I believe do have a different thought process for the most part, one that emphasizes structure over creativity. Which makes sense for the line of work that they are involved in. It shows up in other places such as their resumes. I honestly saw just a handful that weren't Microsoft templates. So I guess ol Microsoft deserves a pat on the back. Engineers really dont have the best social skills. Realize I am not saying everyone, but the vast majority. They also don't have the best business fashion. I was surprised how many didn't even dress up. The ones that do fall under two categories. Those who wear their father's clothing from the 70's and those who are horribly color blind. Social skills is a lot more than dressing up so I would listen to them talk to recruiters. None of them seemed enthusiastic or knew how to sell themselves. I have a ways to go, but when the guy in front of me starts talking to me about Encino Man out of the blue I figure I'm a little further than others. I managed to talk to several companies. Me fake smiling, them returning the fake smile. They'd all have the same engineer joke, engineers are smarter or something along those lines. I'd be sarcastic right back and point to my GPA and with a real grin say yeah I'm pretty smart too. So some took my resume and said they would forward it in the right direction, most gave me a corporate website to go to. I really had more I wanted to say about the career fair, but the thoughts have escaped me.

The classes in Maastricht don't have grades for them yet and now I wish it would stay that way. Today I started the process and was happy with the A in marketing, but got a B for EC law. I explained my reasoning for why I deserve an A, but he is pretty adamant that it stays a B. Im sure it won't move. I guess it was the only thorn for the day. Blooming roses for the most part.

Later on, early evening I suppose, I went to the BCG presentation. Its a company I would love to work for. Its also a company that chances are slim to none. Try hiring 50 students total from about 30 universities. I'll still try, its worth a shot. But talking to some of the recruiters one already has deferred entrance to Harvard. How does that work? Hey I want to go your grad school, but in a couple years. Harvard says, "Sure no problem, you're on the list." Must be nice. However I did get to hang out with Jessica, and got a free dinner out of it. So I can't complain. Jessica and I are going to start are own company once we come up the perfect idea. Anyone else want in on this start up drop me a line, we'll do lunch.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home