The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Tuesday, May 20, 2003

The French Connection

This could be called the last minute trip. Everything about it came together at the last possible moment. Deciding to go to Paris really only happened the day before we left. Not much planning was involved, just a call to Eurolines reservation center to get a seat from Brussells to Paris. Here is the trip.

We needed to catch a train to Brussels Friday night to catch our 6am bus. Well we decided to take the last train to minimize our time in train stations. So we needed to catch the 10:10. We actually were running down the platform to get on this train. The conductors were telling us to hurry up. As we jumped on, the doors closed. So we are in Brussels, and realizing we have to spend the night here isn't that exciting. We decide to go into town, walk around a bit, maybe find a bar. Well we are heading into town and are going down this street. I've never seen so many prositutes. Honeslty over a 100 on both sides of the road for several blocks. Random. We get close to the center and find a bar. After a few hours we are tired and need to catch some sleep so we can hit Paris hard the next day. Walking back to the train station we discover its closed. We decided to catch some sleep on the benches outside. We find a good row of benches. Out of no where a total stranger sits right next to me. Its 3am, there are plenty of benches, and yet this guy decides to sit next to me. I was just about to lay down, but now he is too close for me to do so. I get up and choose a different bench. One of the guys I was traveling with starts talking to him. He seems nice enough, talks about Nirvana and his home in Morocco. I fall asleep. Within 30 minutes I wake up, shivering. The temperature has dropped and all I have is a fleece sweatshirt. I truly felt like a bum, I was lying down with only a backpack and was so cold. All I could do was lie down and shake. Around 5am the train station opened up and we went in. It was cold in there too, but no wind. Hanging out on a bench, a random guy all of sudden comes from right behind. He was about to grab my friends backpack, his attempt was not successful. This trip made me realize that I can't wait not to be a broke college student. Spending the extra bucks and get a hotel room and the comfort and security it includes.

So we get on the bus, it was a hour late and go to Paris. The four hour trip was a much needed nap. We get into Paris and try to find a hostel. Last minute trip, we didn't reserve. So the first one we went to was booked (not much of a surprise, mid-May, travel season). We go to the tourist office and they give us a hostel that has rooms available. Now we are trying to catch a 3pm afternoon bike tour. Well we are running late, and are actually running through subway stations. We emerge from the underground and run to the Eiffle tower trying to find the group. We missed it by 5 minutes. Back to subways stations, to this day I still love coming up from underneath. Its always a new sight, you never know what to expect.

So we hang out by the tower, Im doing one of those typical poses. Pretending Im leaning against it, supporting my weight. All of I suddden I hear Dave, Dave. No way. It was girl I knew from my marketing class back at A&M. She had just graduated and was touring around europe for a few weeks. That has always been one of my hopes, run into someone a world away out of blue. I guess I can check it off.

So now we just walk around. The river Siene, Arc de triumph, Champ-Ellyse, the Louve, Notre Dame, and some other parts. It was an good time. Random thing, true it was near the Louve, touristy area, but the place was selling Coke for 10.40 a liter. Now I know I can pick up a 99 cent 2 liter bottle down at the Texaco not more than two blocks from my apartment. I could make some money in Paris.

The next morning we decide to go to the Louve. Mona Lisa, great painting. Is it really better than all the other pieces inside this huge museum? Whose to say, but I don't really think it is. Saw the sculpture of aphrodite. I was like hey lets put our arms inside our shirts and pose next to it. For those that don't know, the statue ís missing its arms. We go ahead and do it. I was thinking we'd get some stares. Why are you being disgraceful? This is art, not humor. Instead we got our pictures taken and some laughs. I appreciate art, but now and then its better just to have some fun with. After the museum we head to the Latin quarter, grab some lunch, and just walk around. The guys have to get back because they have classes on Monday. I stay around another day. For the rest of the afternoon, I check out La Defense, Monte Marte(an amazing view of the city on top of a hill). On one subway, I notice this Asian couple get on (Im sitting right by the door). All of a sudden the guy is attacked. I don't know what happened, but before I could act on it, it was over. The French guy was off the subway and the Asian was sitting down with torn pants. Im guessing the French guy went for a money belt or something. Still I felt bad for the guy. Im sure his trip was a little less enjoyable.

I get back to the hostel around 10ish. Even brought out the marketing book and read an article I needed to. I must tell you it rained everyday we were there, forgot to mention. So now I have strangers in my room. One guy is in his 40s, and carries around his Jack Kerouc book. I must admit, I've always wanted to read his poetry. Anyways, while our conversations was limited this isn't the guy I want to grow to become. Hes in his 40s traveling alone. Saying words like cool, man, and the such. Im sure he loves his life and that is what is important. Still if I told him the VW minibus was waiting down on the street, full of petro, with no destination known he would have said Lets do it Man, it'll be one hell of a journey. I'd rather not be single, traveling alone and staying in youth hostels when Im at his age.

The next morning I was going to go on a tour, but with the rain I decide to go ahead and axe the idea. I walk around, see Sorbonne, Luxembourg gardens, and just walk..a ton. The rain is picking up and Im getting too wet. I decide to go ahead and check out a book or record store. Well I find this cool little record shop. I hang out in there for about a hour. Listening to all sorts of music. While they had the big American artists, they had a ton of independant ones as well. Had an entire section. Even found a single copy of my boy Mraz. Made my day. Checked out a bookstore, then needed to catch my bus.

So I want to go to the bathroom. Number 2 in fact. Im at the bus station, and to open the doors you have to pay 20 cents. So I put in my money, open the door, and look in with nothing but shock. It was disgusting and didn't even had a seat. About to squat I decide to check to see if there was tp. Nope. I get out and leave. Boarding the bus, the driver said we weren't allowed to use the bathroom. I just closed my eyes and fell asleep. The bus was a hour late. I missed my train. Made the last available train. This train was running slow, I would have missed my connecting train to Maastricht, but since it was the last one they held it back. Thank God. I couldn't imagine spending another night in a train station. Thinking Im going to have to walk the 40 minutes or so back to the Guesthouse I'm not too excited. However all the city buses are lined up. I hop in one I need, and in about 2 minutes all of them take off. It was the last round.

All in all France was a great time. It ranks near the top of favorite places of been to. Rome is still on the top. London might be higher up, but I need to back one day and explore it a bit more. The French were also a lot nicer than I was expecting. Their English isn't that good, but they know some, where as I would not be able to help a French tourist in America. Also there is something right with the French gene pool. The French girls put the Dutch to shame. Plus they have style. Dont get me wrong, the Dutch have a certain style to, its just one Im not too fond of.

2 more week to go in Maastricht. I've realized well that isn't all that much time. Im starting to study and before I know it, it'll be over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home