The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Wednesday, December 03, 2003

T minus 4 and a half years coming to an end.

There is really two countdowns when you enter college. There's the one countdown that includes the end of your college career. The friends you say goodbye to, the town you might hate but have become accustomed to disappearing in your rearview mirror, and the memories, like polaroid pictures fading away after so long. This will be an entry in itself when in slightly over two weeks I will be considered a college graduate.

The other countdown ties into it, but for me is separate. The countdown till you work your first real job. You go to college to learn about yourself, develop relationships, and basically mature to a certain degree. However you wouldn't go to college if it did not lead to a job. A career filled with hope, that will soon become just as cluttered as your email's inbox.

Let's go to the beginning. I love cars. Love them. Trucks, SUVs, convertibles, sedans. Love them. I grew up with a 1930 Model A in the garage and a dad who could fix it. I've seen several different vehicles take those oh so coveted garage spots, while older models baked in the sun and became snow covered in the winter. I've driven from Montana to Texas alone. I've driven to New York from Texas. Shoot, I even even driven a vehicle in Europe. I love cars. I came to A&M wanting to design them. Wanting to give shape to the next Corvette or the new Grand Cherokee. Engineering classes broke my compass and in its place was a pen to work out the business aspects. Still, same industry, still the same love.

I tried everything. I've flown to Detroit to talk to representatives. I've even sat down with a designer in his studio to share my aspirations. I've mailed resumes, I've made calls, and have gotten horrilby lost in websites. I also networked at my current job which in all honesty has now put me on a plane to Detroit. 4.5 years have come to this two day affair with Ford. It's amazing that a college career consisting of 1640 days comes down to a measily two. Now let's just hope I can answer questions intelligently, keep food off my suit and a smile on my face for the next 48 hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home