The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Four plus years at A&M equals nothing.

Highschool was a breeze. I don't remember ever cracking a book. The only exceptions were a paper I wrote for English and my Advanced Calculus class. Other than that, everything just came to me. The concepts were easy to grasp and I graduated at the top of my class with a full ride to a Montana State.

I've been told by parents and recruiters alike what they look for on a resume. I honestly thought I had it down. I have a 3.87 GPA, my electives went towards a Certificate in International Business. Not too shabby. Do you have any international experience? You bet...try 6 months of it. Work experience, not only have I tried to maintain a job the past two years while attending classes, I've also landed two internships. One of them landed me in right in the middle of Manhattan in advertising the summer after 9/11. An economy that was hurting especially in the Northeast and the respective industry. Leadership experience. Yep got that too. I've been involved with many different parts of campus. It's not restricted to business, but also community involvement and other aspects of the campus. Last semester of my senior year and I am feeling pretty damn good.

Jump back to reality(now I got that Enimen song going through my mind). I can't complain too much, I have had one interview and five more already lined up. I am confident that a few more will trickle down. Still there are many positions I have applied for through the Career Center that I wasn't selected for. In addition I've been doing some job researching of my own using the Internet. I've filled out countless personal forms, answered questions (technical & personality aptitude) with no avail. What are these people looking for? I guess inside connections. It all comes down to not what you know, but who you know. That's a shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home