The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Thursday, November 13, 2003

Payless....maybe the should pay more on their facilities.

Yesterday I was in the great midwest state of Kansas. Topeka is not only the state's capital, but in addition houses Payless Shoes headquarters. I'll admit, I went there not too excited about the company, but I'm even less excited about the economy. I guess Payless for me is a whole pride issue. I've put a lot of effort to be the student I am today with the background I have. I want more than Payless.

Anyways I went to Kansas to rack up some more frequent flyer miles. I also went because I have an open mind and wanted to see what they have to offer. Two negatives: Don't give a guy who is slightly over 6 foot a Chevy Cavalier to drive for a hour and a half. When my knees are doing the steering, I need more leg room. Also don't put me in a hotel thats not that decent, but on the far opposite side of town. I'm not so negative as not to realize that flying me up was an expense for them. I am still grateful for having the opportunity to visit.

Upon arrival, I went into the lobby where I saw a few other candidates. Blank stares all around. I was the first person to actually break the silence and start talking. After a short introduction, the interviews began. There were 4 of them in a row, approximately 30 minutes each. I felt I did just fine on them, but who knows what they saw. My favorite interviewer was a lady with a great sense of humor. However all of sudden she went off tangent and started saying don't trust anyone. That there is office politics in this male dominated job. I don't know if she looked across, but I am a white male, kind of fit the mold don't you think. All in all, I really did enjoy the people I met and hearing their experiences.

After the wrap up I went to Lawrence to go surprise my Grandma. It took me awhile to find her, but alas she had cards in her hand and playing a good game of Pinochel (spelling???). Back to Texas.

So now I have a few more things going for me. In a few weeks I will be in Michigan interviewing with Ford Motor Company. I've always been passionate about this industry and I can only hope an offer is extended. Also recently I have been informed I have made final rounds for Accenture. Two of my top three I've applied for I've made it to finals. As a Montanan just might say: I'm stoked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home