The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Friday, October 24, 2003

"You just want to be a kid...."

Thats a quote from a co-worker of mine today. She guessed it right on the spot. She is going for a Masters in HR. The only aspect of HR that I find may be somewhat interesting is labor negotiations, such as the contracts that involve unions. I know there is probably a lot more involved than compensation, salary, hiring/recruiting process, but the one part I know about and have no desire to do is the firing. I asked her if she could fire someone, this someone being a good worker, not a slacker or a thief. A worker who is going to suffer because the corporate parents would like to see the shareholders have a few extra bills in their wallets. She said yes. Maybe at some point I'll be a manager and may have to make the same decision. I don't know if I could. I don't know if I could let a mom or dad go who are working to try and support their family. I don't know if I could crumble under the pressure of Mr. CEO who has his 20,000 square foot home(not to mention the Hamptons beach property) and vehicles that cost more than a decent salary. I can't help but wonder if my boyish thoughts will someday fade away as I turn into a man with a gray suit and striped tie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home