The travels I have taken and the experiences that resulted.

Monday, July 08, 2002

Well it's Monday after a nice 4 and a half day break, so fun times. The extended weekend was great. On Wednesday night I went to LaGuardia to pick up Elle. It was funny cause I took a city bus to the airport. I picked it up in Harlem and I think I truly reached the epitome of a white preppy boy. Here I am in Harlem wearing a LaCoste shirt and nice cargo shorts on a city bus reading a Business 2.0. There was another white guy on the bus with an empty seat by him, but I just sat down with someone near the front. It was interesting for at the next stop another white person got on and went to the back passing up seats and sat next to the other white guy. Instances like this show that we still have a ways of going before people see each other as equals. The bus got crowded and I was the only one that ever gave my seat up and stood the rest of the way in.

I picked up Elle and it was great to see her, when then caught a cab and headed back to my apartment. The next day we decided to check out SoHo and Greenwich, areas Elle hasn't seen. It would have been nice had it not been for the weather. It was so unbelieviably hot. We later escaped the heat and saw a movie Importance of Being Earnest. It's not that good. It was a little after 5, and I had heard you needed to head down to the river early if you wanted to have a good view of the fireworks. Well we got there too early, and when we headed out for Elle to get a drink and cool off we were told by the officers that we would not be allowed back in for they had put the gates in place. Since it was pretty much umbearable we headed on out and were able to catch most of the show on TV.

Friday we slept in and thought about what we were to do. Fortunately the weather cooled down. We checked out South Street Seaport. It's a pretty area, but is basically a place that caters to tourists with shops. That afternoon we went to a hotel I had made reseravations at. I just thought it would be fun to have a day/night in the city. The hotel was called the Hudson and it was probably the coolest place I've ever stayed at. Very contemporary with funky elevator music. We again saw another movie, this time on paper view. The Beautiful Mind, I'd recommend it.

Saturday morning we took a taxi down to a bus stop for the Hampton Jitney. We were heading out to East Hampton. On the bus they had a steward or stewardess and in a way I found them amusing. I was thinking if they someday hope to work in the airline industry. The traffic got bad and it took us a little over three hours to get there. Once we got there though I was amazed at the little town. It was very quaint, but with nice/expensive stores along the main street. Also there seemed to be a lot of beautiful people in fancy cars. At one store we stopped in they had some benches near the front. There were like three older guys, so I decided to join them. At one point one of their girlfriends or wives came over with an intended purchase in her hand, before she even talked the guy reached for his wallet and handed her his credit card.

After seeing the town we walked over a mile to the beach. I thought the beach might have rough sand and the water be not the best, but the beach was great. Then again it is the Hamptons. We caught a bus back after 6 and then headed straight for the apartment. The day wore me out.

Next morning we slept in and then once again headed to the airport. I stayed for awhile and then we said our goodbyes. So now I'm taking the city bus back to subway stop in Harlem. Half way there I feel my pockets and there are no keys. A place where I almost always have them. I figure they must of fell out of my pockets and got off and the next stop to head back to the airport and check out where I sat and the Lost and Found. Going through my backpack to put on my walkman I discovered them and really have no clue of putting them there. I then took a nap on the bus and got off at my exit. In all it took me well over 2 hours to get home. That afternoon I just cleaned up my room a bit and got organized, followed by some TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home